The First Methodist Church of Ada has long been one of the strong churches of Methodism in Oklahoma. It was organized July 4, 1895, in a one-room log cabin in north Ada with twenty-one members. A Rev. Liles of Stonewall organized the church and continued service once a month for the remainder of the year.
In 1900, a union Sunday school met in the Masonic building. At that time the church, then part of the Wynnewood District, received it first full time pastor, W. A. Shelton. About two months after the arrival of the Sheltons, a parsonage with two rooms, twelve feet by twelve feet, was completed. He was a man destined to become one of the leading scholars of the southern church and professor at Emory University. A Methodist Sunday school was organized with Frank Jones as superintendent. Early in 1901, a church building was erected. It later burned, and the site of the present Methodist church was secured. After the fire the church was rebuilt and later given to what is now Asbury United Methodist Church, Ada. The church on the new site was dedicated April 14, 1907, and a two-story brick parsonage was provided.
Following a disastrous fire in 1914, the building was completely restored, and the church's first pipe organ was installed. On May 7, 1929, a contract was let for additional building. Work was temporarily stopped during the great depression but was completed during the pastorate of Dr. J. C. Curry (1933-1937). During the pastorate of Dr. Virgil Alexander, plans for a new sanctuary were begun, continued during the pastorate of Dr. V. A. Hargess, his successor, and completed during the pastorate of Dr. Clarence Ridge (1947-1952). The church sent its minister to Europe to study the great cathedrals, and from his tour one of the most beautiful and impressive churches of Methodistm in Oklahoma was built. The present fellowship hall and activities building was done during the pastorate of Dr. Rufus Walker (1952-1954).
The church has long carried on a fine ministry for the students of East Central University and an all-around program for the youth of the church.